Kateryna Soroka is a Senior Associate in the Kyiv office. Her expertise includes banking & finance, M&A and corporate, restructuring, regulatory, energy & natural resources, infrastructure & transportation, construction, and industrials.
Kateryna advises on all aspects of infrastructural projects including project structuring, transaction documents, due diligence, and environmental and regulatory issues. She often represents clients in communications with government authorities and supports them during the permitting and approvals process.
Kateryna has particular expertise in port infrastructure, natural resources management, renewable energy, and communications. She also advises on projects related to financing and corporate matters.
RECENT ENGAGEMENTS INCLUDE ADVISING*
Banking, Finance & capital markets
- U.S. INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT FINANCE CORPORATION (DFC) on financing for the 500 MW Zaporizhzhia wind farm project—a significant project in Ukraine’s energy sector, envisaged to increase the country’s capacity to generate wind energy by approximately 40%
- BLACK SEA TRADE AND DEVELOPMENT BANK on a EUR 15.4 million medium-term secured loan to a Ukrainian borrower for the construction and operation of a Radisson-branded hotel in Odessa
- AN INTERNATIONAL BANK on a EUR 10 million term facility loan to Ukrainian renewables developer OVID WIND LLC to refinance a portfolio of loans related to the construction of a 30 MW wind power park in Ukraine
energy & natural resources
- AN INTERNATIONAL PROVIDER OF RENEWABLE ENERGY AND LOW-CARBON CONSTRUCTION SOLUTIONS on the implementation of a renewable energy project in Ukraine, including the preparation of a memorandum on the Ukrainian legal framework applicable to the project, including procedures, documents and timeframes
- A UK INVESTOR on the acquisition of a project for the construction of a 10.18 MWp solar power plant in Ukraine’s Zhytomyr region
- THE SHAREHOLDERS OF THE 500 MW TILIGUL WIND POWER PLANT PROJECT on its joint venture with a foreign strategic investor
projects & infrastructure
- HUTCHISON PORTS on the lease of the Chornomorsk seaport (southern Ukraine), and subsequently on the conversion of the lease into a concession
- B. ENERGY (GULF) DMCC, a UAE energy trader, on the acquisition of the gas and oil storage facilities and cargo handling business at the Yuzhny Sea Trade Port (Odessa)
* Experience prior to joining Kinstellar
- 2011 – 2012: University of Leeds, UK, European and International Business Law, LL.M.
- 2004 – 2005: International Solomon University, Kyiv, Ukraine, Law Department, Master’s degree (with honours)
- 2000 – 2004: International Solomon University, Kyiv, Ukraine, Law Department, Bachelor’s degree (with honours)
- Ukrainian Bar Association - Chair of the Environmental Protection and Natural Resources Committee (2017)
- European Business Association
Ukrainian, Russian, English
- The plastic bag is not required. Will the consumption of plastic bags be limited by the new law?, The Page, February 2021
- Draft law on environmental control: What is inside?, Ukrainian Bar Association, August 2020
- Benchmarking Infrastructure Development 2020, World Bank, 2020 (co-author)
- Ukrainian Sea Ports Attract Investors, CEE Legal Matters Magazine, June 2018 (co-author)
- Changing Fortunes of Ukraine's Infrastructure, The Ukrainian Journal of Business Law, July 2018 (co-author)