Balázs Sepsey is a Partner in the Budapest office. He focuses on energy law, including natural resources.
Balázs has in-depth knowledge of the energy sector working on a wide range of energy sector related matters, including energy related M&A deals, power plant development projects, long-term supply agreements, EPC contracts, and EU energy regulatory work. He has gained extensive experience advising on a variety of energy matters, including advising on mid- and long-term power purchase and gas supply agreements, energy project agreements and regulatory issues in the field of energy law.
Balázs is specifically focused on EU energy law, including regulatory advice and energy related state aid and competition law matters.
Balázs Sepsey is thorough, fast and he understands our problems.
Balázs Sepsey has 'very thorough understanding of implementing renewable projects in Hungary' and he has a 'very down-to-earth and pragmatic approach to complex projects'.
RECENT ENGAGEMENTS INCLUDE ADVISING
Energy & Natural Resources
- A CONFIDENTIAL CLIENT on the financing of the development of five photovoltaic power plant projects in Hungary, including coordinating and executing a very complex and resource-heavy due diligence
- A CONFIDENTIAL CLIENT on the financing to be provided to MET Hungary in relation to the construction, testing and operation of MET Dunai Solar Park, a 17.6 MWp (AC) solar power plant in Hungary
- A CONFIDENTIAL CLIENT on the financing of photovoltaic project construction comprising 22 solar power plants in Barcs, Hungary developed by DMJ Management Solutions
- A CONFIDENTIAL CLIENT on setting up of a joint venture between the Client and an OEM in relation to the expansion of the Client’s current greenfield investment in Hungary, including all related corporate matters, sale and purchase and shareholders agreement between the parties
- A CONFIDENTIAL CLIENT in entering into an agreement for the acquisition of 98.99% of the registered capital and voting rights in the Hungarian company Tigáz (owning 48% of the national grid) from the Italian oil & gas giant Eni, including Eni’s gas distribution operations in Hungary through its participations in Tigáz DSO and Turulgáz
- A CONFIDENTIAL CLIENT on the energy regulatory and insolvency law aspects of its dispute with a large Romanian electricity trading company, which encountered serious financial difficulties and became insolvent
- A CONFIDENTIAL CLIENT on the regulatory aspects of conducting power and natural gas trading activities in Hungary, Turkey, Albania and Slovenia
- A CONFIDENTIAL CLIENT on the Hungarian law implications of the acquisition of Renovalia’s renewable energy portfolio including two wind farms in Hungary from Promontoria Holding 124 BV
- A CONFIDENTIAL CLIENT on carrying out its comprehensive GDPR compliance project, participating in the implementation and day-to-day assistance to the group DPO
- A CONFIDENTIAL CLIENT on the expansion of a maleic anhydride unit in the Danube refinery complex in Hungary, including on the preparation of the EPC tender and negotiation with the licensor
- A CONFIDENTIAL CLIENT on a USD 8 billion long-term natural gas sale and purchase transaction
- 2005: Central European University, Budapest, Hungary, Diploma in Advanced European Legal Practice
- 2003: Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany, Diploma in International Commercial Arbitration and Dispute Resolution
- 2002 – 2003: University of Saarbrücken, Germany, ERASMUS exchange programme
- 1999 – 2005: Pázmány Péter Catholic University, Budapest, Hungary, Faculty of Law, Bachelor of Law
Budapest Bar Association
Hungarian, English, German