Anthony O'Connor is a Partner in the Budapest office, the head of the firm-wide Corporate and M&A practice, and the co-head of the Private Equity sector.
Anthony has extensive experience advising private equity and venture capital investors on all aspects of high-profile investments in Central and Eastern Europe, including identifying and managing key business risks, principal areas of sensitivity and motivating factors. His expertise includes advising on and negotiating share purchase agreements, investment and shareholder agreements, management warranty deeds and warranty and indemnity insurance, as well as management incentive plans, equity roll-overs and earn-outs.
Anthony has also built a strong reputation representing entrepreneurs and private businesses in relation to investments by global corporates and investors, providing strategic advice on the sale process.
Sources highlight his 'technical knowledge, fast response time and client service' as particular strengths, while other interviewees note that 'he has impressive negotiation skills and he adds a lot to deals with his commercial view'.
RECENT ENGAGEMENTS INCLUDE ADVISING
M&A and Corporate
- A CONFIDENTIAL CLIENT owned by a leading European bank, on the proposed acquisition of the payment transaction services operated by one of the biggest commercial banks in Hungary
- A CONFIDENTIAL CLIENT on the EUR 610 million acquisition of the fourth biggest bank in Bulgaria, United Bulgarian Bank, and of the third biggest leasing company in Bulgaria, Interlease, from the National Bank of Greece
- A CONFIDENTIAL CLIENT on a major greenfield investment in Hungary
- A CONFIDENTIAL CLIENT on a proposed acquisition of the non-life insurance portfolio of a major insurance company in Hungary
- A CONFIDENTIAL CLIENT on setting up of a joint venture between the client and an OEM in relation to the expansion of the client’s current greenfield investment in Hungary, including all related corporate matters, sale and purchase and shareholders agreement between the parties
- A CONFIDENTIAL CLIENT on the acquisition of Walmark, a leading manufacturer of consumer health products in Central Europe from Mid Europa Partners
- A CONFIDENTIAL CLIENT on the Hungarian law implications of the acquisition of Renovalia’s renewable energy portfolio including two wind farms in Hungary from Promontoria Holding 124 BV
- A CONFIDENTIAL CLIENT on its debt and quasi-equity investment into a Kazakh-based manufacturer of baby diapers for the Asian market
- A CONFIDENTIAL CLIENT on the Hungarian law implications of the acquisition of a global manufacturer of automotive and industrial equipments’ specific business arm including comprehensive buy side due diligence of the targeted Hungarian subsidiaries and related SPA advice
- A CONFIDENTIAL CLIENT on its proposed acquisition of a stake in a landmark Hungarian shopping mall, located in Budapest, comprising more than 200,000 sqm total floor space
- A CONFIDENTIAL CLIENT on the acquisition of the largest designer outlet centre in Hungary, comprising properties, movable assets and intellectual property
- A CONFIDENTIAL CLIENT on the sale of a 4,170 sqm logistics warehouse in Hungary
- A CONFIDENTIAL CLIENT on a real estate forward sale of 14,000 sqm LEED and WELL certificated office complex in Hungary
- A CONFIDENTIAL CLIENT on the sale of four shopping and entertainment centres in Hungary
- A CONFIDENTIAL CLIENT on the disposal of Liget Center office complex comprising 10,863 sqm leasable area in Budapest to Wing
- 2002: University of Queensland, Australia, Graduate Diploma in Professional Legal Education and Training
- 2001: University of Queensland, Australia, Bachelor of Law, Bachelor of Arts
- Budapest Bar Association (Foreign Legal Advisor)
- Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales
- Solicitor of the Supreme Court of New South Wales
- Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Queensland