Joel Benjamin is the Managing Partner of the Almaty office. He has extensive experience in M&A and corporate, and in banking, finance and capital markets transactions in various industries, including oil and gas, mining, banking, telecommunications and media.
RECENT ENGAGEMENTS INCLUDE ADVISING
- TELE2 SVERIGE AB on its joint venture with Kazakhtelecom JSC, the national telecoms operator and the combination of their cellular operations of their subsidiaries JSC Altel and Mobile Telecom-Service LLP (Tele2 Kazakhstan)
- EBRD and UNICREDIT BANK on the USD 260 million project financing of Voskhod Oriel and Voskhod Chrome
- JSC HALYK BANK KAZAKHSTAN on its acquisition of SB HSBC Bank Kazakhstan JSC
- A MAJOR INTERNATIONAL OIL COMPANY on issues relating to entering into contracts with companies ultimately owned by politically exposed persons
- KCELL JOINT STOCK COMPANY, a leading cellular phone provider in Kazakhstan, on its USD 525 million initial public offering via a listing of GDRs on the London Stock Exchange and of shares on the Kazakhstan Stock Exchange*
*Experience prior to joining Kinstellar.
- 1984: University of Pennsylvania Law School, Philadelphia, J.D.
- 1984: Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, MBA in Finance
- 1977: Cornell University, Ithaca, B.A. in Economics
State Bar of California
- Corporate Acquisitions & Mergers 2014 - 2015, Kazakhstan chapter, Kluwer Law International (co-author)
- Project Finance, Kazakhstan chapter 2012 - 2014, Getting the Deal Through (co-author)
- Kazakhstan's Radical Bank Restructuring Law, Butterworths Journal of International Banking and Financial Law, January 2010 (co-author)